What are the different types of saws and their various uses? For cutting any object in solid-state, specific tools are used, such as ‘saws.’
Different types of saws are used for cutting through different solid objects like stones (marble), metallic things, and most commonly – wood (timber).
Saws are found in every toolkit, whether at home for quick fixes or outside the house for professionally trained workers, especially in the construction field.
Numerous components need to be cut with particular types of saws for the intended outcome. The saws are of different shapes and sizes. Hand saws with tough blades at one end and on the other wires and chains are intact.
While some powered saws retain a circular-shaped blade, used to slash ceramic tiles and fulfill other constructive purposes.
To realize the importance of various types of saws, let’s take an example. If you want to protect your garden by making fences around it in a harmless way, you are going to need a ‘hand saw’ for that. But if you want to make joinery like wooden interior decors, you will need a ‘back saw’ for a delicate finishing.
Hence, for any kind of work, certain equipment or tools are required. The selection of those tools depends upon the type of job you are going to perform with them. Hence, the right tool choice can make your job easier, while the wrong tool will waste your time and energy until you realize that it’s not going to take you anywhere.
In this article, we will take a look at several types of saws and their usage. Which are divided into two main categories – hand saws and powered saws.
Different Types of Saws And Their Best Uses
As the name suggests, these saws are ready to use, hand-handled, and work without any additional power source requirement. Structurally, a hand saw has a gripping space with a big blade attached to its front for splitting anything into two. This saw is used diversely, for more than one means of cutting, in several niches.
Even though it is not limited to only wood-related work. Still, out of all the saws, the most commonly preferred saw for the woodwork is the hand saw. The professionally skilled carpenters and wood crafters use these types of saws.
Which allows separating the wood according to the desired piece of shape. It is generally used while creating a wooden fence by shaping the wood first and then combining the individually scoped parts into a single masterpiece.
Even for quick amendments of wooden furniture or other decorates of the house. A rough-edged, hand saw is the basic tool for all. However, other kinds of hand saws might also come in handy in different sorts of jobs.
Hack saw is a type of hand saw, which has an overall rectangular C-shaped front with curved edges. The narrow blade is placed under tension with 18 to 32 teeth per inch at one side of the frame. If the cutting material is hard or difficult to cut through, a larger blade size can execute the task.
The placement of the blade can also be adjusted to this handy tool. But standardly, the blade is screw-fixed, pointing away from the handle.
The traditional blade of the hacksaw is used to cut metal due to its fine and accurate cutting style. Apart from the hard metal, it is also considered while dealing with plastic material as well. Since there are many things made out of plastic in our house, which can be mended easily with this saw.
This valuable tool is mostly found in the plumber’s toolbox for cutting the kitchen and lavatory’s conduit tubing and other pipes made out of plastic.
- Insulated 1000 V knife with guide
- Single layer, injection molded, with protection cap
- Special blade with cable guard show for cable dismantling
- Stainless steel blade; handle shock resistant plastic
Backsaws are the types of saws, which are comparatively smaller in size. They are locally called hand saws as well. The blade has a hard rib at the back, providing firm support to the blade’s cutting part. On the one hand, a wooden stiffed rib restricts the cutting depth of the saw. On the other hand, it provides a stable control over the grip of the backsaw.
The blade is sharper and thinner for an evenly straight, neat finish. Used at distinctive degrees like 45° and 90°, the accurate style of fine cutting is used for wooden-made stuff.
This saw is mainly used for cutting miters, dovetails, and tenons in furniture, like cabinetry and another timber-made interior like joinery. Also, it is used to cut metallic items with its tightly spaced teeth per inch count.
According to the specific work, the different backsaws include the miter saw (large-sized backsaw) and Tenon saw (mid-sized backsaw).
- Universal teeth for general use, cuts along and across the grain
- Brass back for maximum rigidity
- For joint cutting & sawing small pieces of wood and wood based materials
- Comfortable wooden handle securely fixed by rivets
- High carbon steel blade
The metallic frame of the saw is shaped like a typical bow, hence the name. Bow saws are the types of saws that are particularly used for crosscutting. The effectively long blade size, with large crosscutting teeth, chop in both directions.
However, it is not recommended for wooden work. Since this portable, beginner-level tool is not a precise one. Therefore, it doesn’t offer a perfect finish to the job. A bow saw is traditionally used for outdoor tasks like trimming and pruning wet wood and logs of thick trees.
- 15-IN-1 multi-purpose SAW save your money! Too many kinds of saws for home, workshops, or fields! Magic saw replaces Hacksaw, Coping, Pruning, Bow, Folding, and Jab Hand Saws, Bottle, Tile, Glass, Bolt, Steel Pipe, and Plastic Pipe Cutters, Pruning Scissor Chain Handsaw.
Coping saws have a sharp and thin blade with an arched-shaped body. The detailed cuts make it a precision tool. Hence it is not recommended for any rough jobs. However, this saw is perfect for intricate and sophisticated work.
The blade rotation adds value in the work of trimming or anything that requires control in narrow spaces. According to the blade in use, it cuts through plastic, wooden items, metals as well. Also, it helps toy-makers for trimming synthesized materials.
Furnishing creators admire its close-up cutting quality and keep it as an essential tool in their kits. While plumbers are also on the list of users.
Crosscut saws contain wide, beveled teeth, including a heavy blade size with uneven edges. There are two types of saws in the crosscutting field. Firstly, the common 1-man crosscut saw with one handle on the end. It is used while camping in the wild to trim branches and stems of trees and harsh lumber cuttings.
Secondly, the formal 2-man crosscut saw a handle on each end for 2 people to use in a push and pull manner. The perpendicular splits by the saw across both directions cut the grain of timber in a rough style. Mostly used for outdoor jobs.
- Beech handle, plus auxiliary handle for use as a two-man version if required
- Special Great American Tooth pattern for use on logs, etc.
- Can be re-sharpened using a large triangular file
- British CS80 Steel, 1.5mm thick blade
- Each tooth is hand set
The outlook of the fret saw is somewhat similar to the coping saw. These saws have a deeply bent, curved frame, which allows the cut to be made at a wider angle beyond its boundaries. Even though the cuts made by the fret saw are complicated, the fixed blade makes the job easier.
A fret saw can work effectively in extensive undertakings. Having a non-rotational blade, which limits the use to a certain degree. However, to expect the exact outcomes as the coping saw in tight spots, the job can get a bit difficult.
- Screw tension model
- The screw tension saw was the origin of the Knew Concepts Fret saw line
- Extremely precise blade tensioning simply by turning the knurled tension nut
- Supplied with a 15 TPI #7 skip-tooth blade
The hole saw has a circular-shaped blade, typically connected to a driller. These types of saws work by cutting a hole through the given material by enforcing the drill machine. Since the hole saw is needed when the spade is a bit narrow. Therefore, it has a pilot drill function to keep the saw teeth together in one place.
And thus, it performs all the complex tasks efficiently. The depth of cutting during the drill is determined by the blade type and the blade size of the saw. However, to cut through a harder material by a bi-metal hole saw, the professionals prefer carbide or diamond coated teeth to create a flawlessly round hole in the core element.
The drilling operation allows even the smaller hole to be made without breaking through the source material entirely. A hole saw is commonly used to drill a neat, round, and effortless hole in the concrete, walls, wooden items, plastic, metallic objects, stainless steel, and other elements.
- Set contains five hole saws measuring in inches: 1, 1-1/8,1-3/8, 1-3/4 and 2-1/4
- Comes with 2 pilot bits
- Includes one 3/8-inch mandrel
- Part of Bosch's extensive collection of accessories
- Eight piece set
Japanese saw is a precisely fine tool with a single handle for a rigid command over the gadget. The cutting finish is more detailed than the backsaw. These saws have extended powerful and thin blades, which are utilized for the most explicitly neat results.
Japanese saws are of three types. Namely, Kataba, Dozuki, and Ryoba, offering a high class of finest blades of all.
Another advantage of these types of saws is that they can surpass closed areas where other saws are troublesome to use. Japanese saws are used to cut woods of both soft and tough texture with identical accuracy.
- JAPANESE STYLE PULL SAW: This product is a “Pull Saw.” What most people are used to are European saws, which cut materials via pushing, thus are called “push saws.” On the other hand, Japanese saws cut materials via pulling and thus are called “pull saws,” which is what this product is. In comparison to “push saws,” “pull saws” are lighter in weight, requires less power, and the resulting edge is cleaner.
- JAPANESE STEEL: All SUIZAN Japanese saws are consisted of top quality japanese steel. It uses high quality Japanese steel, which makes cuts to be sharp.
- MADE IN JAPAN: All SUIZAN products are manufactured in Japan by Japanese master craftsmen. With a history of over 100 years in making Japanese hand tools, all of the process gone into making tools were completed in one of Japan’s towns known for their craft making tradition.
- DIVERSIFY YOUR WOODWORKING LIFE: No matter you are a master or a beginner in using saws, it gives you brand new experience from using traditional Japanese style saws and enables you to make a wider variety of woodworking products, thus change your life!
These types of saws have a resembling outlook of a long knife. A keyhole saw has a single tapered, prolonged blade attached to the top of the round handle. They are used to displace and extract small segments from the essential concrete drywall.
Therefore, it is the best option to create patterns using its sharp and pointed blade for creativity purposes. It can also be used instead of powered tools, where heavy drilling can harm the delicate interior of the wall.
The plumbing work needs the keyhole saw to accommodate pipes by making holes in the wall for purely minor sections. Hence, it is a rapid and lenient indoor problem solver.
- QUALITY JAPANESE PULL SAW SERIES: A series of KAKURI Japanese woodworking hand saw uses Japanese unique traditional techniques. These Japanese saws are used by professional musical instrument craftsmen, joinery artisans, furniture craftsmen, and pro carpenters worldwide. Please enjoy the authentic highest grade Japanese saw series from KAKURI brand.
- JAPANESE MINI KEYHOLE SAW: It is the best saw for cutting wood and board into curved lines and making holes. Since it is a fixed blade, it can make holes in a thick wood securely. The small size makes it easy to handle, and the moderate rough blade teeth are suitable for quick cutting.
- COMFORT WOODEN HANDLE: The handle is made of Japanese high quality red oak with an oil finish. It fits in your hand and supports your comfortable woodworking work. The handle mechanism to hold the blade has an ergonomic design to improve grip and cutting action.
- EASY INTERCHANGEABLE BLADE: The blade is replaceable and compatible with all handles in the same series. It is possible to combine the blade and handle as you want. To change the blades, simply lift the locking mechanism, slide the blade in, close the mechanism, and you are ready to start the project. It does not require screws or tools for replacement, so you can easily change the spare. Please see the bottom of the page for all information about this series.
- PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS: Blade: Japanese carbon steel / Handle: Japanese Red Oak (Oil finished) / Blade Length: 4"/ TPI: 13
The pruning saw has a 13 to 15 inches long blade with a slightly bent or curved structure. The outlook of these types of saws is similar to that of a ‘pistol,’ offering a single handle, a pistol-style grip.
The teeth are raw with a wide blade, which enables the saw to cut in both ways. That’s how it acts at a timely pace and handily wipes out material from the given surrounding source. A pruning saw is widely used by all landscapers and is considered a house owner’s biggest helper.
The tree surgeons and keen gardeners also admire the saw for its portable assistance in cutting the easily accessible, short branches of the trees.
- 3 SIDED RAZOR TEETH FOR EFFICIENT CUTTING: 10" blade is ideal for cutting 5" - 6" diameter, small to medium, branches
- ERGONOMICALLY DESIGNED, COMFORTABLE, CO-MOLDED HANDLE: Provides a comfortable grip for extended use
- EASY TO LATCH BLADE PREVENTS INJURY WHEN NOT IN USE: Folding blade is curved, taper-ground, and replaceable
- IMPULSE HARDENED TEETH FOR LONG SERVICE LIFE: Extends the life of the tool season after season
- UP TO 6 TEETH PER INCH AND CURVED BLADE DESIGN FOR FASTER CUTTING: Cuts are smoother and quicker than a traditional saw.
Pole saw consists of a long pole, hence the name. It is also known as a pole runner. The normal range of the pole depends on the selection of the model. Generally, it has a range of 7 to 16 inches and is available in higher lengths. The new models of pole saws are now electrically powered, having an end like the chainsaw.
These types of saws are constructed for pruning the branches of the trees. A pole saw has a comprehensive 6 to 8-inch chopping blade. Which makes it ideal to become every gardener’s dream tool.
The saw authorizes the owner to stretch up to those out-of-reach branches without the need to climb up a ladder. Overall, it’s an outdoor tool for lawn courtesies.
- Extension allows for a useable length of 6 1/2 or 10 feet; overhead reach of up to 14 feet
- Part of 20 volt MAX lithium ion battery system easily swap with other lawn and power tools
- Up to 100 cuts of 1 1/2 inch pine branches per charge
- 8 inch cutting bar and chain allows for a MAXimum cutting diameter of 6 inches
- 2 year limited warranty; does not include battery or charger
Out of all the types of saws, rip-cut are the most popular ones. It is even recognized by those who cannot distinguish it among many other saws. Locally, many people call it a generic hand saw. Rip-cut saws are functional in various sizes.
The blades are extremely fine and sharp. They are also powerful enough to subtract the utmost amount of excess material from the given element. Its blade has a tooth count of about five teeth, which is comparatively lesser than others. A rip-cut saw is ideally terrific for framing due to its explicit finishing.
The new woodworkers and carpenters keep a rip-cut saw in their tool bag for its classical design and shape.
- Make rip cuts and crosscuts up to 24" Wide
- Cut multiple pieces to the same size With just one setup
- Use the oversize edge guide for precise control throughout the cut
- Eliminate need for marking, measuring, and layout lines
- Take your saw to the material instead of having to take your material to the saw
A wallboard saw has an outlook similar to that of a keyhole saw. The difference between both is trivial and is observed only in the blade shape. The saw has limited and tapered teeth per inch. Its blade has a thicker and shorter body.
A wallboard saw is also available in a double edge variation. These saws are designed to create hole patterns in the wall, as the name gives it away.
It carves initial holes for power saws. It is utilized by electricians for wiring or paneling by puncturing through substantial drywall.
- This foldable saws is excellent for portability. It is compact and convenient for camping, etc.
- Ideal for civil engineering work, camping, pruning landscaping, and pruning fruit trees.
- The saws blades is made to be a perfect setting for live trees to satisfy the professionals.
- The 3-sided grinding blades provides excellent sharpness. Foldable type for easy carrying, auto-lock system.
- Cut cleanly with edges, resulting in a very clean finish. Ideal for people who want to cut a variety of wood.
A veneer saw is a highly specialized and unusual saw. It consists of a short blade, having a double-edged distinction, with a round handle to hold. There are 13 teeth per inch present on each side of the blade.
A veneer saw is mainly used for executing veneer work. These types of saws are only found in the tool bag of highly experienced carpenters or wooden craftsmen.
Since it is not handily flexible to other practices. An average person or enthusiast will not have much to do with it.
- Cranked handle to make it easier to use against a straight-edge.
- 16 TPI teeth with zero set resulting in a very fine and narrow kerf (0.020”).
- Curved blade allows you to start anywhere along the cut line.
- Blade Length is 3” and Overall Saw Length is 7-3/4”.
Instead of following the footsteps of various hand saws, powered saws have elevated the bar to the next level by establishing a niche of their own.
For instance, a radial arms saw broadened a circular saw and miter’s abilities rather than duplicating it. Therefore, after going through several hand saws, let’s also take a peek at some of the powered saws as well.
- FANTASTIC ELECTRIC POWER SAW: A JCB tactile, advanced, compound sliding miter saw with 1 x 60T 12" multi-function blade, this sliding miter saw is for professional power and cutting. The double bevel saw includes a new and improved dust management feature for clean and healthy use. JCB have produced a new saw with expanded cutting capacity suitable for various materials. Includes a 6.5' cable length for electric sawing
- POWER AND PRECISION SAW SPECIFICATIONS: Single bevel saw for precise power. 5000 RPM electric motor, cold saw blade tungsten carbide-tipped (60T TCT ). Tools for making quick, accurate crosscuts at selected angle workpiece at a selected angle
- LIGHTWEIGHT WITH LASER ACCURACY: The miter scale is white on black for increased superior accuracy and visibility when working. Inclusive of Sliding Miter Saw 12-inch Sliding Bevel 120V, 60T TCT blade, collection dust bag, 2x workpiece supports, 2x carbon brushes, hex key for fashioning. Powerful 15 Amp, 5000 RPM motor. Weight: 36.1 pounds, Dimensions: 35.2 x 21.6 x 17.5 inches
- ELEVEN PRESET MITER ANGLES FOR VERSATILE USE: This saw comes with eleven preset miter stops: -52.5°, -45°, -31.6°, -22.5°, -15°, 0°, 15°, 22.5°, 31.6°, 45° 52.5°. The saw is versatile for use on wood cutting, thick plastic and as a table saw replacement for tactile home improvement. This craftsman miter saw gives accurate angles as miter joints are lined up perfectly
- DOUBLE BELVEL CUT COMPOUND MITER: This double-bevel cut, 2000W power, compound-miter saw has an additional benefit of tilt - you can tilt the blade and blade head at a range of angles depending on the workpiece making precise bevel cuts into wood possible. ETL Certified, IP20 Rating, Class II product (double insulated)
A chain saw is one of the most powerful tools out there, undisputedly. It is the first and foremost go-to cutting tool for all forestry workers. Even some house owners who enjoy doing their fixtures and repairs on their own keep it in their house for quick use.
It operates by a spinning process of the chain link around the powered arm, running at a certain acceleration. It comes in a variety of optional power source choices, like petrol and electricity. But the most preferred chain saw is the one with the petrol power source.
A chain saw is highly recommended for people who live in the middle of a wooded area. Forestry workers admire this saw for its extraordinary ripping through anything quality.
- 【High-power copper motor】: Fast speed without burning, durable power surging, have a longer life.
- 【Long Life Rechargeable Batteries】: Equipped with 21V, 1280W rechargeable batteries, long battery life, sustainable use, 1.5 hours fast charging.
- 【Portable Effort Saving】: The body weight light, shockproof and anti-slip, fits ergonomic design, you will not feel tired after longtime using.
- 【Visual oil can oil bubble】: Effectively control roller skating, extend the life of the guide chain.
- 【Wide Range of Working Uses】：The professional cordless pruner fit all kinds of gardens, parks, farms, highway, large pastures, landscaping, orchards, greenhouses and so on.
A circular saw is also known by the popular brand name Skilsaw. Or sometimes called a buzz saw.
These saws can either be mounted to a rotational machine or be handheld. It has many means of powering sources like the gasoline engine, the most commonly available, electricity. But the hydraulic motor is the most effective means of power source, out of all.
These saws have a tooth count ranging from 7 to 9 inches, which is measured in diameters. The teeth are placed on the blade to sharpen its edge and make it rip through any rigid thing.
The materials it can cut through are masonry, metals, plastic, wood, and much more. Hence, the saw is counted among the most basic types of powered saws.
- [Cordless | Universal Battery System ] Cordless - highly mobile, breaking the limitations that traditional circular saws must work in a friendly environment; 2.0Ah (Li-ion)battery and 2A fast charger complete charge in 1h; Cordless circular saws with excellent maneuverability and portability, best for people working on the go and in off-grid environments; POPOMAN Circular Saw Battery Equipment is common to all cordless power tools of the POPOMAN brand.
- [Powerful | Free 2 x Saw Blades ] Features a 2,0A battery to offer great power for fast cutting. The mini circular saw running at 3500rpm for easy cutting of wood, soft metal, plastic, gypsum board, PVC pipe. Come with 2 blades: 1x24T TCT(115mm) for wood cuts/ 1x24T HSS(115mm) for wood and soft metal cuts. With the provided auxiliary tools, you can install and remove the blade safely and quickly.
- [SAFETY | Ergonomic Design] The safety switch design and blade guard mostly reduce accidents in operation, promises a safer cutting job; The weight of the whole machine is only 4.8lb, and a reasonable weight brings good operability; The battery postposition separates the front and rear gravity, make the cutting more stable; Optimized ergonomic slim grip provides ease and less fatigue to one-handed operation.
- [ Precise | Laser and Parallel Guide] The laser guide ensures a professional and precise cutting line, convenient for cutting; The parallel guide enables exact cuts along a workpiece edge and cutting strips of the same dimension; The 9.5” extended metal base plate improves the stability of the saw in cutting process, avoiding accidental curved cuts.
- [Adjustable | 90°and 0-45° Cutting] The angle adjustment device meet demand of various angle cutting. The adjustable depth knob allows cutting depth up to 1-11/16”(42.9mm) at 90°, and cutting depth up to 1-3/8”(34.9mm) at 45°. You can freely adjust the cutting angle. The Left-sided blade design helps you to clearly see the cutting line.
One of the biggest convenient versions of circular saws is chop saws. Which are also known as abrasive saws. Locally they are called cutoff saws and concrete saws. The multiple names are given after the variable functions it performs.
The arrangement shows a spinning disc, ascended on a support arm, without any toothed blade. These types of saws are created in two cutting versions, which are masonry and metal.
The concrete cutting saw generates a lot of dust in the air while slicing through the material. Therefore, a water connection line is built to reduce the dust quantity in the surroundings.
- 2300W motor of the chop saw provides overload protection
- Ergonomically designed handle of the metal chop saw provides a more comfortable hand position, reducing fatigue and increasing productivity
- Quick-Lock vise of the metal cutting saw allows for fast clamping on different size materials
- 45 degree pivoting fence allows for fast and accurate angle cuts
Types of Saws And Their Best Uses – Conclusion
Knowing the different types of saws can be an asset itself. So at the time of need, you know which tool to use and what job it is fit to execute.
Saws are a must-have tool in your tool kit, whether you are a homeowner or a professional worker. Normally, people have a hard time identifying the right saw since there are multiple of them. After reading this article, we hope you will distinguish between, if not all, then at least some of the saws found in the marketplace.