We’ve found the best wire strippers on the market. In this article, we investigate 5 of the top brands and discovered that this one is the very best.
If you need to strip wires there’s a large variety of tools you can use, but none can properly replace a good pair of wire strippers.
There’s a ton of different options when it comes to stripping wires quickly and efficiently.
To help you in the pursuit of finding a good pair of wire strippers we have put a list together of the best wire strippers for you to browse through before you make a purchase.
Best Wire Strippers – Top 5 Picks
Wire strippers are specifically designed to remove the rubber coating from the outside of a wire, which leaves the wire still intact without the rubber sheath left on it.
You can also use a pocket knife, or similar to perform this task but this way comes with risk of injury and doesn’t produce the same kind of results as using a proper wire stripping tool.
Stripping the rubber coating off the outside of the wires is often necessary before getting started with soldering or similar tasks that require the wire to be exposed outside of the rubber sheath, so it’s certainly useful to have a method of removing the outer coating to reveal the wire that is both effective and safe.
Below we’re going to take an up-close look at our top 5 best wire strippers for electricians, and anyone else who requires this tool for their job.
The reviews below are designed to educate you with all of the facts you need to consider before you go shopping and to make sure that you get good value for money
IRWIN VISE GRIP 2078300 Self-Adjusting Wire Strippers
- SELF-ADJUSTING: Strip wire from 10 to 24 AWG with our self-adjusting mechanism. Jaw Width: 2 inches
- ADJUSTABLE STOPPER: Control the length of the core strip with the built-in adjustable stopper
- CRIMPING: Crimp 10-22 AWG insulated, 10-22 AWG non-insulated, and 7-9mm ignition terminals
- STRIPPING: Strip wire from 10-24 AWG while swivel knob micro-adjusts to strip gauges smaller than 20 AWG
- LIFETIME GUARANTEE: Each IRWIN hand tool is warranted to be free from defects in material and workmanship for the life of the tool
The IRWIN Vise Grip self-adjusting wire strippers are the top choice out of all the wire strippers we’ve looked at. The self-adjusting feature of the 2078300 model allows you to strip wire from 10 AWG, through to 24 AWG, so you have the ability to strip wires of various sizes for any electronics project whatever that might be.
The jaw width of these wire strippers is 2 inches, and the stopper is adjustable so you can control the length of the strip with the built-in adjustable stopper. This tool is also a crimper, so it can crimp 10 – 22 AWG insulated and non-insulated.
IRWIN is a trusted brand and has a great reputation, so you can be sure that this product is of high quality, but to put your mind at ease these wire strippers also come with a warranty.
Klein Wire Strippers 11063W
- Wire Stripper and Cutter cuts and strips 8-20 AWG solid and 10-22 AWG stranded wire with ease
- Compound action stripping: grip and strip via single-action squeezing motion
- Precision machined stripping holes easily remove insulation without damaging the wire
- Removes up to 1-Inch (25 mm) in length of the insulation layer (jacket layer) in a single step
- Tension loaded wire-grip gently holds the cable while retaining cable geometry
These wire strippers from Klein Tools are a good reliable choice for both cutting and stripping electrical wires. They can strip (or cut) wires that are 8-20 AWG (both solid and stranded wire) with precision and ease. These wire strippers have a compound action which means you grip and strip in a single squeeze.
The holes for stripping are machined precisely so that you can remove the rubber coating of a wire without damaging the inner wire itself. 1-inch range – these wire strippers can remove up to 25 mm of the rubber coating on a wire in a single squeezing motion.
As with all hand tools they should be made with ergonomics in mind, and these Klein Tools wire strippers are no exception. You won’t have any issue with the ergonomics of this tool while using it for a long duration
Neiko 01924A Self Adjusting Wire Strippers
- [WIRE STRIPPING]: This one in all tool has jaws that auto adjust to specific wire gauges and can pull wire insulation off as you squeeze the ergonomically ideal handle while using the micro-knob to adjust the jaws for stripping smaller gauge wires beyond 20 AWG.
- [WIRE CUTTING]: This cutting tool has high-frequency, heat treated blades that will cleanly cut wires from 10-24 AWG for all your electrician work needs in home improvement.
- [WIRE CRIMPING]: The built-in crimper feature crimps wires rated 10 to 22 AWG insulated, 4 to 22 AWG non-insulated, and 7 to 8 mm auto-ignited terminals to give this tool a superior advantage in tackling most electrician tasks.
- [ADJUSTABLE]: The adjustable gauge/stopper controls the length of exposed wire up to 3/4-inch based on the requirements of the job and application at hand.
- [COMFORT]: The 8-inch spring-loaded, flat-sided handle provides maximum comfort and leverage when operating for the user and provides for precise, accurate, and successful results.
This wire stripping tool from Neiko is a high-quality and reliable option, not just for stripping the coating of wires, but also for cutting them and crimping. This wire stripper has an innovative design and a self-adjusting ability which makes it perfect for wires from 10 to 24 AWG in size.
The specially designed teeth grab and strip the outer layer of the wire in one easy squeezing motion, so these are much more simple to use than some other common models of wire strippers. These wire strippers also feature a thumbwheel which can micro-adjust the jaw tension for the ability to strip smaller wires and wires above 20 AWG.
The stopper on the Neiko 01924A can be adjusted from 1/4 inch to 3/4 inch, so it is versatile in that the amount of rubber coating it removes can be easily altered with a minor adjustment.
The blades that do the cutting are made from high-quality heat-treated steel so you know they will cut precisely and stay sharp over time.
This wire stripping tool also features a built-in crimping tool that can crimp between 10 and 24 AWG wires (insulated) and 4 to 22 wires that are non-insulated.
The handle of these wire strippers is designed to provide maximum comfort while being used. Overall these are on the top picks, and list of the best wire strippers would not be complete without including the Neiko 01924A.
Capri Tools 20011 Automatic Wire Strippers
- This automatic wire stripper has a narrow profile, allowing it to access tight areas
- The stripping blades automatically self-adjust to different gauges
- Fast compound consistent wire stripping action
- Grips and strips with a single squeezing motion
- Strips wires 24-10 AWG and cuts wires up to 12 AWG with built-in wire cutter
The Capri Tools 20011 Automatic wires strippers are as the name suggests automatic. This means that they can automatically adjust to strip wires of various different gauges. This is a versatile tool and can be used not just for stripping wires, but also for cutting them.
The narrow profile allows you to cut and strip wires in areas that are very tight and would be hard to access with other wire stripping tools. As far as the size of wires this tool can strip, it is designed primarily for wires between 10 and 24 AWG.
These wire strippers have a unique grip design, that is more pistol like than other wire strippers on this list, some people think that this design is more ergonomic but not everyone agrees.
Like the Neiko model above, these can grip the wire and strip the outer rubber coating off all in one swift squeezing action. Overall these are a great choice for stripping smaller wires.
Knoweasy Automatic Wire Stripper
- ✅【Notice:】Do not use to cut the steel material!
- ✅【Stripping Size Range:】Works with single-conductor 7 to 32 AWG( 0.03mm²-10mm² )stranded or solid wire,the wire tool is great for stripping speaker wire;Fix strip length according to requirements,stripping length range is 5-20mm/ (0.25-0.75inch),working on many wire types.
- ✅【Product Feature:】Made of steel strips and glass fiber nylon;Suitable for stripping wire;Cutting off copper,cable and aluminum wire.
- ✅【Improved Design:】It has self-adjusting jaws to strip wire and no need to manually readjust this stripping pliers. It works with fine, thick single, multi-stranded conductors, PVC, and other insulation types.
- ✅【After Sales Warranty:】Your customer satisfaction and 12 months warranty of wire stripper can be guaranteed.
These Knoweasy Automatic wire strippers are designed for fast stripping of wires to save you effort and work with maximum efficiency. This wire stripping tool is perfect for the electrician, or for anybody who frequently needs to strip wires quickly, with precision and accuracy.
They are designed to strip wires from 10 to 24 AWG (solid or stranded wires). These wire strippers are made from high-quality steel, which means that they will be durable yet fairly lightweight.
The beauty of automatic wire strippers is that they automatically adjust according to the size of wire/cable that you need to strip, so these are very versatile in terms of wire gauge.
The Knoweasy wire strippers come with a nice warranty which is always an added bonus when you’re purchasing a tool. Overall these are a decent option, and they will suit you well if you’re on a tight budget.
Finding the best wire strippers – What to consider before you buy.
While finding a good pair of wire strippers can seem like an easy task there are actually quite a few factors that you need to keep in mind when you’re shopping.
In this section, we’re going to take a close look at some of the key things that you must remember.
The first thing to consider is ergonomics. This means how good is the grip design, and will it be comfortable to hold onto for many hours of the day. Some models of wire strippers are certainly much more ergonomic than others, some are designed with a pistol-style grip while others look more like pliers.
Which is more ergonomic for you may depend on your personal preference but just bear that in mind.
Another important factor that you ought to assess before buying your wire strippers is how high quality is the build/construction. Wire strippers are often made from various materials, the more durable ones will likely consist of stainless steel construction that is resistant to rust, or in other words, outdoor conditions.
Some wire strippers have handles that are constructed out of plastic, this has the benefit of making them more lightweight. But being more lightweight and made from plastic comes with the drawback of being less durable. You will find that it is often a balance to find a tool that is both lightweight and sturdy.
You should also consider which size of wire you will mostly be using the tool for. Although most wire strippers are able to strip wires in a variety of sizes, there’s usually a size that is most suited to a specific tool.
One common example is people working on circuits, wires on circuitry are generally much smaller than the size of wire electricians tend to work with.
So depending on what your profession is you need to get the right tool according to the size of the wires you are stripping most often.
The Best Wire Strippers – Conclusion
Choosing the best wire strippers is not a decision you should rush, as it can be a huge factor in deciding how smooth your work goes. It’s a good idea to read through this guide a few times, and take notes of the important parts.
After going through this guide and taking notes you should be well equipped to go out and purchase a good pair of wire strippers.