One of the first things you need to do when looking for the best palm sander is to study your nature of work. It does not mean that you need to know all the projects you will do.
A palm sander is widely used by carpenters, DIY lovers, and professionals. It can remove the finish from a piece of furniture or smooth a rough surface. Any professional carpenter or DIY lover should have one in their tool-set.
But if you know that you will use the sander for occasional projects for work in the workshop, you can optimize it for your tasks in a more straightforward way.
In this article, these five best palm sander reviews are all great options. And it is certain that you will find the palm sander for your needs.
Top 5 Best Palm Sander Reviews
#1 Best Overall: Bosch ROS20VSC Palm Sander
- Smooth Finish: Pad dampening system designed to eliminate swirl marks on both flat and contoured surfaces
- Easy Disc attachment: Through Bosch's signature Hook and Loop disc attachment system, sanding pads stick to the hand sander, acting like a Velcro adhesion material
- Variable speed Control: Powerful 2.5 AMP motor allows speed to work piece and task matching with ease
- Dust collection: Features a micro filter system for fine dust and trapping particles as small as a 1/2 micron in diameter. Durable and compact, the dust canister shows dust level and easily detaches for mess free tasks
- Kit contents: Includes sanding pad, sanding disc, dampening ring, dust canister, vacuum adapter and carrying case
For the best palm sander from Bosch, we choose the ROS20VSC model. The tool is packed in one of the most extensive, most complete, and well-organized boxes we have ever seen. Most users appreciate the meticulous details of the product.
This sander is noticeably different from others that Bosch introduced to the market a few years ago. Its dust extraction system is ingenious and environmentally friendly.
However, it takes a specific time to connect and begin to operate. The dust filter insert is made from paper and can be cleaned easily for recycling, while the cartridge can be emptied by unscrewing the end of the tube.
However, what Bosch is most proud of when it comes to the ROS20VS palm sander is its vibration reduction system. The patented system is equivalent to a decoupling of the motor housing from the sanding plate. It is a unique system that is found only on Bosch tools.
The front handle of the sander is removable. Two grinding discs are supplied in the package and are interchangeable with an Allen key.
- Powerful engine
- Easy to handle and store in any place
- Unique anti-vibration system
- High-quality materials and excellent packaging
- The price is not low
#2 Best Price: BLACK+DECKER BDEQS300 Electric Sander
- Provides 270 degree flush sanding clearance
- Tri-layer filtration
- Soft grip paddle switch
- Paddle switch activation for easy on/off during application
- Included Components: (1) BDEQS300 Sander, (1) Sheet Sandpaper, (1) Paper Punch, (1) Dust Bag
If you are looking for a cheap palm sander for wood but with excellent features, this BLACK + DECKER BDE1S300 model is the best choice. First of all, it is equipped with a powerful 2.0-amp motor. It is an ideal tool for DIY and for polishing or sanding wood and metal.
Thanks to an ergonomic design, it is effortless to manage both on flat and curved surfaces. Among amazing functions, it has to be mentioned the possibility of adjusting the rotation speed depending on distinguishing surfaces.
This BLACK + DECKER BDEQS300 sander offers a maximum speed of 12000 rpm. It has the classic suction function with a diameter of five millimeters. It also features a dust collection bag, which can be easily removed and emptied.
Lastly, it is a powerful appliance enhancing the electric cable’s presence with a length of three meters. The handle is soft and ergonomic and is adjustable with one single button.
Also, the package contains a convenient carrying case in hard plastic and three abrasive sheets. Most customers say that they are delighted with their performance.
- Low price
- Powerful motor and versatile function
- Suitable for many materials and surfaces
- Easy to use
- Only suitable for DIY and small projects
#3 Best Performance: PORTER-CABLE 380 Palm Sander
- 2.0-amp motor of orbital sander moves at 13,500 opm, providing a superior finish
- Dual plane, counter-balanced low-vribation design reduces user fatigue of the palm sander
- Dust-sealed switch protects against dust ingestion for longer switch life of the hand sander
- Sealed 100% ball-bearing construction
- 2.0 Amp motor moves at 13,500 opm, providing a superior finish
PORTER-CABLE is a brand that’s known for its excellent performance. This sander can be used in both DIY and semi-professional works. The device is well-constructed and designed meticulously to facilitate all types of work.
The ergonomic and non-slip handle allows the user to hold the tool firmly in their hands. And the product looks incredibly modern and luxurious with a matte black cover.
This PORTER-CABLE 380 palm sander is also equipped with a powerful low-vibration motor. Everyone knows that prolonged use of sanders can cause various joint problems, so buying a product like this is worthwhile.
Among many premium rivals, the sander stands out as capable of producing up to 21,200 oscillations per minute. Besides, the dust-sealed switch allows you to keep the work area always clean.
- Significant performance with high-quality engine
- Compact and modern design
- Suitable for both novices and professional work
- Reduced vibration feature
- No briefcase included
#4 Best Design: DEWALT DWE6411K Palm Sander
- 2.3 AMP motor of the electric sander sands at 14,000 OPM
- Rubber overmold texture will provide a smooth and comfortable control while sanding
- Improved paper clamp of the 1/4 sheet sander features for better paper retention
- Locking dust-port system that allows the user to lock vacuum hose up with the sander
- Reduced overall height of the sander to get the user closer to their work
DEWALT tools always have an ergonomic soft-grip handle, and so does the DWE6411K palm sander. It is comfortable to use thanks to the lightweight but highly efficient design.
Besides a design that brings comfort for the users, it is a specialized product for simple work, especially DIY lovers. Therefore, the manufacturer has reduced the weight and dimensions, respectively 4.2 pounds and 7 x 6 x 10 inches.
Its motor is small and compact, managing to release the power of 120 volts, which is sufficient for most DIY tasks. Nevertheless, this sander is equipped with a 125 mm diameter backing pad and can offer up to 24 thousand oscillations per minute.
- The small and handy design
- Powerful motor
- Safe for health and lightweight
- Innovative design for all types of work
- Only suitable for DIY tasks or school projects
#5 Best for Professional Users: SKIL 7292-02 Palm Sander
- Pressure control technology warns user when excessive pressure is applied
- Micro-filtration captures and contains fine dust particles
- Clear view dust canister removes guess work of when to empty canister
- Dust-sealed switch for extended tool life
- Pressure Control Technology warns user when excessive pressure is applied
If you are looking for the most professional and heavy-duty palm sander, then the SKIL 7292-02 model is a great alternative. It is a model characterized by the classic burgundy color with black finishes, particularly robust and long-lasting materials, and superior efficacy compared to other premium products on the market.
This sander features a well-designed structure. Let’s start with a large and ergonomic handle, which is equipped with the classic soft-grip and non-slip system. It is an ideal design for heavy-duty and complicated jobs.
The handle system allows you to grip the sander in any way, depending on the work surface without any difficulty or excessive weight. Its balance is also perfect. The tool also features the classic Pressure Control Technology and micro-filtration for dust extraction, which guarantees a cleaner working environment.
- Professional product for heavy-duty tasks
- Powerful engine and efficient performance
- Comfortable to use and hold for a long time
- High technology applied
- High price
Why Do You Need the Best Palm Sander?
Having the best palm sander means completing those long and tiring sanding jobs faster with less effort. They are super easy to use, so even if you are new to the world of sanding, you can learn to use one quickly.
If you are already familiar with these tools, and have a professional job, or are simply a contractor, you know that speed is essential.
A good quality palm sander can provide the adjustment functions to adapt to the various work surfaces. There are many different types of sanders on the market. Some models work better for specific tasks than others.
Before buying one, make sure you know what you would like to use it for.
- What types of surfaces and materials do you work on most often?
- Do you want a cordless or corded sander?
- Which features and functions are most important for your needs?
- Will you use the sander for hobby or professional works?
The answers to these questions will help you narrow down your choices and make it easier for you to find the best palm sander.
Types of Palm Sander
There are two main types of palm sanders, with square and round sheets. Each of them has strengths that make it better for specific jobs than the other one.
- Square sheet sander. This type of sander has been on the market for over 50 years. It is easy to use and has many functions, including dust extraction, electronic speed controls, various handle styles, low noise, and vibration emissions. Using this type, you can proceed in the direction of the wood grain and not the other way around.
- Round sheet sander. Unlike the previous model, it is not necessary to follow the grain of the wood. This professional sander has a staggered transmission bearing, which makes the sanding pad work in a both elliptical and circular motion.
Features to Consider When Choosing a Palm Sander
Quick Paper Change
One of the best and most useful features of a palm sander is the speed of changing the sandpaper.
The most common method for these units is called the “hook and loop” method, which is extremely easy to use and makes changing sandpaper extremely quick.
The final result depends mainly on the control capacity of the sander. With variable speed allowance, it is possible to slow down or speed up sanding, depending on the material.
Lower speeds are available for materials such as veneers.
Variable speed palm sanders cost a little more than those without this option, but the extra price is entirely worth the work’s quality.
Most sanders come with a dust bag or container to keep the work area clean during the sanding process. This collection method is useful, but the best one is to connect the sander to a small vacuum cleaner.
So, if you want to do it, check the compatibility of the hooks. It will benefit not only your work area but also your lungs.
Most stores, both physical and online, have different types of sanders for sale. What you need to test is the grip. The grip depends not only on the quality of the handle but also on the length of your fingers.
Is a short or long cable for the palm sander better?
Some tools have a short power cable and require the use of extension cords. Some models, however, have longer cables.
If you do not have any power outlets at home or in the workshop, consider purchasing a tool with a long enough electrical cord.
Which unique feature is the most useful for a palm sander?
Sanding is a long and tiring process. Having to keep your finger in tension to press the button can make you tired earlier than expected.
Look for a tool that can lock the switch. It will make your hands and fingers more relaxed and comfortable for a long time.
Now that you have all the information you need, you are ready to search for the best palm sander.
Make sure you understand your needs before searching, so you can purchase a sander that meets those needs.
Buying one that is not powerful enough can be frustrating and a waste of money.
Take the time to write down your needs and make sure you find a valuable palm sander.
- Best Drum Sander (Top Ratings and Reviews 2021)
- Best Belt Sander Reviews in 2021
- Best Oscillating Spindle Sander – Rated and Reviewed (2021)