Are you looking for the best fencing pliers? In this post, we have listed the five best models, which are the most voted and appreciated by customers.
Our #1 pick is this one. Fencing pliers are a manual tool that can help you do work related to fences and barriers. They are widely used by people from many different fields, being one of the most versatile tools available to any novices and professionals.
Surely, you already know that you can deal with any type of work efficiently when having an excellent pair of fencing pliers.
There is a great variety of fencing pliers on the market, and each is suitable for different needs. Following is a list of top 5 best models and a complete guide with everything you need to know about fencing pliers.
Top 5 Best Fencing Pliers – Our Picks for 2021
#1 Best Overall: Channellock 85 Fencing Pliers
- The Channellock Fence Tool has the features that you need to install and maintain wire fencing all in one strong, reliable tool
- Features include staple starter, staple puller, hammer, wire stretcher, wire splicers and 2 cutters
- Multi function wire stretcher, splicers and 2 cutters
- Staple feature staple starter and puller
- Channellock blue grips for comfort
The Channellock 85 fencing pliers are everything you need for the best choice. It comes with a moderate price, a handy and straightforward design, and performance-oriented construction. The grip is specialized with a rubber cover to give your hand the most comfortable experience when holding and processing.
The tool is efficient in both stretching and cutting metal sheets and rough materials. It is incredibly versatile for most construction jobs. You will not have anything to complain about with this amazing product’s performance.
- Reasonable price and high value
- Comfortable and well-built grip
- High-quality materials
- Versatile functions
- Only comes in one color choice
#2 Best Value: DEWALT DWHT70273 Fencing Pliers
- This item is Dewalt DWHT70273 Fencing Pliers
- Used for Handtools & Tool Organizers, Pliers & Cutters
- The product is manufactured in Switzerland
For the runner-up of the list, DEWALT DWHT70273 fencing pliers are as amazing as the Channellock unit. The product brings such high value and is noteworthy due to its efficiency and modern design.
DEWALT always makes the best construction equipment, and their fencing pliers are not an exception. Of course, the product is extremely pricey. But at first glance, you will change your mind! It features one of the most comfortable grips on the market. The head is exceptionally sharp and robust that can process cutting, pulling, and splicing jobs with ease.
It can handle most of the materials, such as iron, metal, plastic, etc. However, a minus point of the DEWALT product is the metal head rusts quickly, which makes us concerned about the plier’s durability.
- Modern and robust design
- Eye-catching look
- Versatile functions
- Best padded grip so far
- The head rusts quickly
#3 Most Heavy-Duty: Crescent Fencing Pliers
- 2 Staple Grips in Nose
- Corrugated Hammer Head, Heavy Prong, Easily Reach, Pull Rusty Staples
- Special Opening in Head Allows Both Wire and Staple to Be Gripped
- 2 Electronically Induction Hardened Durable Wire Cutters
- Made of Forged Alloy Tool Steel
Crescent is one of the most well-known brands of pliers. The fencing plier from Crescent stands outs with forged alloy materials for high electrical insulation. That’s why it is exceptionally suitable for heavy-duty works that require high levels of safety.
The tool guarantees the most basic requirements for the fencing pliers, which are cutting, pulling, and splicing. Moreover, it features some extra functions, such as staples’ removal. However, some customers complain that the product is not comfortable to hold, and the rubber part of the grip comes off easily.
- Reasonable price
- Extra-functions offered
- High-quality and premium materials
- Low-comfort grip
#4 Best Functions: TEKTON 34541 Fencing Pliers
- Multi-purpose tool for installing, maintaining, and repairing wire fences
- Seven tools in one: hammer, staple starter, staple puller, staple claw, two wire splicing crimpers, two shear-type wire cutters, and gripping jaws
- Slim, nonslip grips provide comfort and control without adding bulk
- Made from high-strength chrome vanadium steel
At the fourth spot, TEKTON 34541 fencing plier is an affordable choice in the list. However, do not underestimate this alternative; it is super versatile with many specialized functions such as hammering, staples removal, cutting, and wire slicing.
However, there are some issues with its performance. The grip is not well-produced with some flaws, which mainly comes from low-quality materials. Some customers claim that the tool has an extremely short life expectancy.
- Versatile with multiple functions
- Handy and robust design
- Low efficiency, especially with heavy-duty projects
- Low durability
#5 Best Price: MIT Fencing Pliers
- Drop Forged Heat Treated Steel Construction
- Precision-Machined Channel and Jaw
- Cushioned Full-Length Non-Slip Handle Grips
- Seven Pliers in one: Two Wire Splicing Channels, Milled Hammer Face, Staple Puller Claw, Twin Wire Cutters, and a Gripping Jaw
- Lifetime Replacement Guarantee
If price matters and is on top of your concerns, then MIT fencing pliers are reasonable since they are the most affordable fencing pliers in the list. It comes with a lifetime guarantee from a trusted manufacturer.
The pliers have essential functions for all DIY works. But like the TEKTON pliers, the product has a low-quality grip, and its head can rust over time. If you only need a simple tool for sudden DIY works, MIT unit is the best choice.
- Most affordable
- Comes with a lifetime guarantee
- Efficient basic functions
- Low-quality grip and head
How to Use Fencing Pliers Correctly?
The best way to use fencing pliers is to achieve high efficiency and still guarantee safety during work. Moreover, to increase the durability and longevity of fencing pliers, please note the following principles:
- When using pliers for heavy-duty tasks, the right blade range is an essential requirement. Do not use small pliers to cut or bend the larger wire.
- Do not let the tip of the pliers directly contact the wire when it is overheated. It is dangerous to the user and also quickly damages equipment.
- Avoid greasy handles to ensure maximum safety when handling. It is encouraged for the users to wear protective gloves when using fencing pliers.
Features You Should Consider Before Buying Fencing Pliers
Before buying any type of tool, ask yourself if you have excellent manual skills. If not, it can be sure that the fencing pliers will remain in the toolbox for months or whole years. Ask yourself, would you necessarily buy the most expensive model? Or is a moderate-priced one with useful functions enough.
As for the professional field, it is evident that the frequency of use is an essential factor when choosing any tool. The models used in construction, in electrical systems, or workshops should meet the corresponding requirements. These are the most expensive models.
The first function of fencing pliers is used to make the barbed fence. If you do not ask for more than that, medium-quality fencing pliers are sufficient. But do not buy the cheapest ones, because reliability and efficiency are essential also. The investment will pay off over time.
For the same reasons, if you are passionate about DIY work or a professional, you should choose a higher-quality model that comes from a prestigious brand. German tools have a legendary reputation among professionals.
If you are an electrician, you will need to pay special attention to the handle’s electrical insulation capability.
In the past decades, there have been purely manual topics of conversation about the best fencing pliers. It is what our grandparents often did when the Internet did not exist. They asked opinions from their neighbors, cousins, or brothers-in-law. Fencing pliers, for example, can correctly represent such a topic of conversation.
You can find useful information on any type of tool in Amazon reviews and others in various forums and articles.
And you can see how men like to talk about the things they do. The level of sincerity is variable, but when an opinion is repeated on various sites, it can be considered reliable, especially if it is negative.
What materials are fencing pliers made?
To answer this question, we must again distinguish between professional high-quality fencing pliers and medium-quality pliers intended for domestic use only. In general, the tools are subjected to a forging process starting from steel or steel alloy.
The simple pliers are made of unalloyed steels, with a carbon content of 0.45%. The professional pliers are of higher quality because they have to withstand intensive use and more significant pressure.
In this case, materials with a higher carbon content are preferred, and usually have particularly hard alloy elements such as chromium or vanadium. And the handles are made of insulating and resistant materials in reinforced plastic.
What are the ideal sizes of fencing pliers?
The most common dimensions are 18 centimeters (180mm). The fencing pliers of this size are most often found in toolboxes. There are also smaller or larger units. Each dimension is suitable for a particular use.
- 160mm: The smaller size can be handy when working in situations of limited space, where the hand is barely passed. These tools are also the right solution for minor repairs that do not require much effort and to keep them handy in the car dashboard.
- 180mm: These are the standard sizes of fencing pliers. They are suitable for most hand sizes and most jobs.
- 200mm: The more giant pliers usually make sense only when it is necessary to exert extra force in specific jobs, especially in the professional field.
How much do they cost?
The best fencing pliers do not necessarily have to be the most expensive, given that these tools are not used every day. However, if your profession forces you to use pliers daily, the price is an important variable, because in this case, we are talking about an advanced work tool.
The price differences concern safety-related factors, such as the hardness of the materials or the electrical insulation capacity. These factors are the most relevant from a professional perspective.
Final thoughts on choosing the Best Fencing Pliers
When buying pliers, the criteria to be considered are different depending on the function that will be entrusted to them. In the workplace, the important thing is the hardness and strength of the materials.
In any case, both at home and in the workshop, the best fencing pliers will always be your most versatile tool. If you liked the article, leave your comment here or share it on your social networks!